In the CELBAN Listening Test, examinees will demonstrate their ability to understand and process what they hear in the video and audio recordings. The listening scenarios consist of health related dialogues that are familiar to nurses. The conversations in the video and audio clips are set in hospitals, homes, clinics, or medical offices, and include interactions between nurses and patients, family members of patients, and other healthcare professionals. The recordings presented within CELBAN are standardized to meet certain criteria for length, complexity, and vocabulary based on the Canadian Language Benchmarks.
The Listening Test is 45 minutes and is part of the CELBAN Computer Based Test (CBT). There are 13 to 14 tasks in the Listening Test. Each consists of a recorded video or audio scenario that will be presented on screen. The length of the video and audio scenarios vary from 30 seconds to 3.5 minutes, and the number of questions for each task also varies depending on the length. There may be one question for a short scenario, and up to twelve questions for longer scenarios. Examinees will answer multiple choice questions for some listening tasks and complete a chart for others.
The video and audio scenarios will be played automatically while navigating through the test. Time will be provided to read the questions before each recording begins, and time to check answers afterwards. There is no ability to pause, stop, or replay the video while completing the task. Answers should be selected as soon as the answer to each question is heard. Examinees do not have to wait for the conversation in the scenario to finish. They will be able to flag tasks that they want to review in case they have extra time at the end of the Listening Test.
A continuous timer counting down the minutes remaining for the Listening Test will be visible to help manage time effectively. After all the tasks have been completed in the Listening Test, there may be some time remaining. This time can be used to navigate back to previous tasks to double check answers and replay the videos.
Test Taking Strategies
- Use the time provided at the beginning of each video and audio task to pre-read the questions before the conversations start. Take notice of key words while reading the questions.
- Make notes on using the online scratchpad to help while listening.
- Select responses as soon as the information for that question is heard. Selecting answers while listening will help complete the section efficiently.
- Follow the instructions on video and use the countdown timer as a guide for when to check answers. Examinees should move on to the next task when the timer beeps and the video ends.
- Flag tasks for review while progressing through the test. If time permits, revisit the flagged questions prior to the completion of the Listening Test.
- An answer should be provided for all questions. Points will not be deducted for incorrect answers.