Remote Test Requirements
To ensure the CELBAN test experience runs smoothly, examinees should prepare their remote testing environment as specified below on each of the scheduled test dates. Testing location must be indoors, well lit, free of background noise and disruptions.
IMPORTANT: Examinees are responsible for meeting all of the requirements listed below prior to registering in order to complete CELBAN remotely. If the requirements listed below are not met, the test appointment will be terminated and the examinee will not be entitled to a refund. The cost of rescheduling will be the responsibility of the examinee.
Examinees are responsible for arriving to their testing appointments at the times specified to do so in their confirmation emails to allow adequate time for the examiner or proctor to go through the check-in procedures. Please be mindful of this prior to registering and follow the arrival guidelines provided below:
A wired headset that includes a microphone is mandatory. Without one, examinees will not be permitted to test. To pass the remote security check, examinees must have their wired headset plugged into their computer prior to accessing the test appointment.
- CELBAN Speaking Test: Examinees must join their virtual appointment on time. Those who appear later than five (5) minutes will not be allowed to challenge the test.
- CELBAN CBT: Examinees should arrive 30 minutes before their scheduled appointment time, whether testing remotely or at a test site.
A laptop or a desktop computer must be used to take the exam. The use of smartphones or tablets is prohibited, as they will not allow access to functionalities required to complete both parts of the CELBAN, and will invalidate the results.
- A desktop computer or a laptop computer plugged directly into a power source. This will help to avoid the risk of the connection being interrupted due to low battery issues.
- Dual or multiple monitor configurations are not permitted.
- Minimum screen resolution of 1024 x 768 is required; however, a screen resolution of 1980 x 1020 or higher will optimize the CELBAN CBT experience.
- External or built-in web-camera. Examinees must be able to move their web-camera to show a 360o view of their test environment during the security check.
- Internet connection speed of at least 1.5 Mbps (conduct a speed test to confirm connection speed). For the best experience, it is recommended that examinees use an Ethernet cable to help reduce the risk of the connection being interrupted due to low signal strength (information on how connect to internet via Ethernet).
- Windows 8.1 or higher | MacOS 10.13 or higher.
- Current version of Google Chrome.
Each examinee will be asked to provide a 360o
environmental check of their surroundings using their webcam to confirm the test environment meets the following requirements:
- No third party may be present in the room or enter the room for the duration of the test, including pets.
- Workstations, including items stored below, must be cleared of all items. Note-taking tools are strictly prohibited.
- There must be no electronic recording devices in the room, including cell phones, smartwatches, and tablets.
- No other programs or tabs are permitted to be open on the computer for the duration of the test.
- No content that could potentially provide an unfair advantage during your test, including anything posted on walls or within the immediate area, can be present during the test session.
- Show that they are not wearing any recording devices and that their pockets are empty.
- Leaving the camera view at any point while the test is in progress is strictly prohibited.
- Examiners or proctors may ask examinees to provide a secondary room scan during the test, if deemed necessary, including if the examinee has left the camera view for any reason.
If an examinee has scheduled their CELBAN CBT appointment at a Prometric test site, all of their personal items must be locked in a locker for test security purposes. Learn more about what to expect
from the Prometric test site experience and the COVID-19 protocols in place.
Examinees will be required to verify their identity on each of their scheduled test dates. For an online test, this means showing personal identification to the camera. The names that are used on the registration form must be identical to the names that appear on the photo identification provided, including the same spelling. If the identity of an examinee cannot be verified on their scheduled test dates, they will not be permitted to take the test.
On each testing date, examinees will be asked to show one piece of valid government issued identification that includes a photo and signature. Acceptable forms of identification include:
- Canadian Permanent Resident or Citizenship Card
- Canadian Driver's License
- Canadian Health Card
- Canadian Identification Card
The identification used must be original (photocopies will not be accepted), non-expired and government issued. The photo must resemble the examinee’s current physical appearance. If none of the examinee’s current identification meets these requirements, they should contact The CELBAN Centre prior to registering to determine next steps.
Policies & Procedures
Examinees should review The CELBAN Centre’s Policies and Procedures
before registering for their test. This document explains critical information relating to the test experience.