Institutional CELBAN is used by not-for profit organizations and
publicly funded post-secondary institutions and school boards to complement their programming for internationally educated health professionals (IEHPs)
Uses of Institutional CELBAN
Institutional CELBAN can be used to replicate the high-stakes testing environment of the Official CELBAN. Scores are not accepted as proof of language proficiency by regulators. However, the test can be used very effectively for high- or low-stakes purposes in non-regulatory settings.
Approved organizations may administer Institutional CELBAN to:
- Determine CELBAN test readiness in IENs
- Conduct pre/post testing for bridging programs
- Provide diagnostic assessments for curricular purposes
- Determine readiness for pre-clinical and experiential placements
- Build test inoculation
When you purchase Institutional CELBAN, you will receive one binder kit containing the following:
- Two different versions of the test
- Test administration guides for invigilators and assessors
- All audio/video material
- Distribution media from which to print all test materials
- All reporting grids and forms
All test material is confidential, trademarked and copyrighted. Permission for use is granted only to purchasing institutions.
New for second edition
A second edition of Institutional CELBAN was released in 2015. Updates include:
- CLB 2010 referenced rubrics
- Stand-alone modular components for easy administration
- Invigilator and assessor guides
- New rating, feedback forms and test-taker reports
- Printable test materials
- Scheduling models and best practices validated by The CELBAN Centre, Touchstone Institute
Who can use Institutional CELBAN?
Institutional CELBAN is intended for purchase and use by not-for profit organizations and publicly funded post-secondary institutions and school boards
who have demonstrated a history and commitment working with IEHPs to help them advance their occupation-specific language training.
Eligibility criteria for purchasing
Purchasing organizations are required to meet eligibility requirements, including but not limited to:
- Demonstrated ability to maintain test security and client confidentiality
- Demonstrated commitment to client confidentiality
- Demonstrated history of working with newcomers
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB)
- Appropriate space and resources to carry out the test.
Upon approval, purchasing organizations will also be required to sign and submit:
- Site checklist
- Confidentiality form
- Agreement of commitment
Please note, an expression of interest does not guarantee the purchase of an Institutional CELBAN.
Staff credentials and training
Accredited educational institutes must commit to ensuring that appropriate staff is selected to facilitate the administration, interviewing and rating of this unofficial version of the CELBAN test.
We recommend that all staff who intend to work with Institutional CELBAN have a working knowledge of the CLB and at least one
of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree and a credential demonstrating specialist training in language instruction
- Degree/diploma/certificate related to language instruction supplemented by 24 months of full-time occupational experience in language instruction
- 10 years of demonstrated full-time occupational experience in language
Purchase Institutional CELBAN
To inquire about purchasing Institutional CELBAN, please contact The CELBAN Centre.